When Natalie (our July TriForcer Spotlight) cooks, you SAVOUR.
Seriously, she always has the most amazing sounding dishes and this one is no exception. We dare you to try it out!
There are 4 parts to this delicious dish. Here's what you'll need for each:
Servings: 4 | Prep & cook time: ~40 min
SAVORY COCONUT RICE
1.5 cups uncooked jasmine or basmati rice
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 tsp salt
13.5 oz. can coconut milk
1 cup water
HONEY LIME GLAZE
1 fresh lime
1/4 cup honey or agave
1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp corn starch
PAN FRIED TOFU
14 oz. package firm or extra firm tofu
Pinch of salt
2 Tbsp corn starch
2 Tbsp neutral oil for frying
1 avocado, sliced
2-3 green onions, sliced
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Here's how you do it:
1. To make the Savory Coconut Rice, combine the uncooked rice, minced garlic, salt, coconut milk, and water in a medium pot.
2. Place a lid on the pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
3. Once it reaches a boil, turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Turn the heat off and let the pot sit, undisturbed, for 10 more minutes.
5. Fluff the rice with a fork and set aside.
6. While the rice is cooking, prepare the honey lime glaze: Use a zester, microplane, or small-holed cheese grater to remove the thin layer of green zest from the lime. Squeeze the juice from the lime into a separate bowl (you'll need about 1/4 cup juice).
7. Combine the juice with 1/2 tsp of the zest, honey, soy sauce, and corn starch in a bowl. Stir until the cornstarch and honey are dissolved.
8. Press the tofu to remove excess water. After the tofu has been pressed, cut it into 1/2 inch cubes. Blot with a paper towel if needed to make sure the surface is dry.
Season the tofu with a pinch of salt.
Sprinkle the corn starch over top and gently toss until all the pieces are well coated.
9. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until the oil is shimmering. Add the tofu and fry on until golden brown on each side (about 3 minutes each side). Remove the fried tofu from the pan and turn the heat down to low. While the tofu fries, cut the mango into cubes.
10. Give the prepared glaze a quick stir, then add it to the skillet. Allow the glaze to begin to simmer, at which point it will thicken.
Once thickened, turn the heat off and add the fried tofu and cubed mango. Toss to coat in the glaze.
11. To build the bowls, place about one cup of the savory coconut rice in the bottom of each bowl, then top with a scoop of the mango and tofu. Add sliced green onions, sliced avocado, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and a few sprigs of cilantro on top of each bowl.